Tuesday 13 December 2011

Transkei, Coffee Bay

I started yesterday morning at 8, traveled down the last piece of the south coast and stuck to the main road around the first part of the Transkei to Port St Johns.With my Transkei map in my pocket, tanks full, gopro mounted and everything fastened I was ready to take it by the horns. How bad could it really be?

Taking it slowly at first, feeling how the bike controls on the dirt road after the mishap I had on Saturday. Soon I saw that this is no ordinary dirt roads with "potholes" (holes that fit a bongo drum) everywhere. I got my first waypoint (The Kraal) easily. And then the path finding began. The roads I drove on looked like no one has driven on them for days, full of holes, river crossings and pools of water. Soon the motorbike was starting to bottom out each time I hit the holes and rocks, trying to take it slow but racing against daylight to get to Coffee Bay. I will drive about 30km to a bridge only to find out it washed away, turning around looking for some other way around and most of the locals can't speak english or don't know what is going on on a map. Not a nice feeling not knowing where you are in the Transkei. Luckily I knew in which direction I was supposed to go so just continued like that, asking locals for directions. Was a nice feeling  seeing the sun go down over Coffee Bay as I was driving towards it. I hit a few serious holes and with all the weight the carriers, bicycle mount and back cover bent. So every now and then when I go over a bump I hear the tyre grate a screw sticking out on the inside of the cover. Hope my kit does not get damaged more by this trip.

I'm staying at The Coffee Shack backpackers in Coffee Bay and would you believe it, they've got proper coffee here. Whoo-hoo! Met awesome people here. There are only about 3 South-Africans (including me) here from what I can tell. Had a great time last night!

Cycled to The Hole in the wall today. Was a beautiful scenic drive on the hiking trail with the grass hills, beaches, and rock formations.


Crossing my 3000km mark.

Port St Johns


Transkei:



The Kraal.







My camping spot at The Coffee shack.

The view from my camping spot.

The start of the mountain bike (hiking) trail.


Wild Coast


Trying to explain to Eric my tag-a-long "guide" how to take a picture.

Little hole in the wall.


Hole in the wall.

On my way back, decided to take the dirt road.

2 comments:

Pieter Krog said...

Lekker Tjom!

Jou trippie so ver lyk legendary! Ek kort dringend so iets...

Ek volg binnekort in jou spore van PSJ tot by Coffeebaai...(19-23 Des 2011)

Die Transkei is MOS die beste plek in SA ooit! Die Koffeeshack se vibe is ook sweet, die mense daar is gewoonlik almal "mense-mense"! Ek hoop jy het maar jou bier in die linkerhand gehou...

"Die weg is die bestemming"

Vrede

MonkeyOfAfrica said...

Awe Neuf. Well done so vêr! What 'n adventure, en ek wens ek was daar!